Wednesday 6 March 2013

What a feeling... remembering Mac's launch in "84


Most of my reading, watching & listening these days is off the Net. This includes the full gamut of regular news from local to worldwide and all the specialty news sites from professional/business to personal articles. I think I have about 40+ sites that I try to get to daily or at least every few days. Then there are what I like to call the fun or humorous sites that give me a laugh or two. And of course the social media sites like Facebook etc.

Smaller chunks of news are the wave of the future for most people as technologies implode, meaning phones, tablets, computers and TV’s merge. It’s exciting to see all this unfolding and it reminds me in a more modest way of the Macintosh’s introduction back in 1984.
Up until that time, PC’s were basically MS/DOS or CPM based and what you saw on the screen were ASCI or text only pages. I remember going to San Francisco to see the Mac launch, as I owned an Apple retail store at that time. At first we watched George Orwell’s “1984” Macintosh video/ad, which also ran during the Superbowl. This had the audience on their feet as it was simply amazing, and if you haven’t seen it, take a peek below...


Steve Jobs takes the stage to the music of Irene Cara’s “What a Feeling”, and you can see the insanely great beam of light coming from his demeanor. This was no doubt a great flash in history and Jobs was going to “strut his stuff” for all it was worth in front of the world. Two programs were ready to launch… MacWrite and MacPaint. At first Jobs demonstrates MacWrite and the crowd goes wild seeing how text and fonts can be changed in an instant. Remember before we were dealing with straight text on the screen and now it was text appearing as a graphical font… easily manipulated.

Next came MacPaint and if the audience loved MacWrite it was absolute chaos for Paint. WYSIWYG was the buzz word, meaning “What you see is what you get” and even though the first Mac was just black and white, one could not help but witness that Jobs had just changed the future. As I sat there, bedazzled with everyone else, I remembered purchasing my first Apple II computer in 1979 and how that propelled me into this fantastic wave of technology. I also remembered that I had 20+ orders for the Mac to fill when I got home. Most were already prepaid ($4999) and we made a cool $2500 profit on each one. We also got to take a Mac home with us in our own cute little Mac bag.

It was a sad day when we lost Jobs but his memory and accomplishments, including the Mac launch, will live forever. What a feeling… indeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment